1. To discover the lesson. There is always “the lesson”. Sometimes it will hit us on the back of the head like a slap from our mammy when she heard us cussin’. Other times, not so much. Other times it will take time. Lately I’ve tried to have patience to look for the ultimate lesson through my suffereing. In my eyes, the Lord is either trying to perfect me, or correct me in some way. It’s my job to figure out which.
2. To learn to empathize. Suffering has taught me empathy. It has taught me to think of others once I have come through my own valley. Maybe that is the lesson I have been taught to learn? Either way, my suffering has made me aware of being more understanding and empathetic towards the people around me, and what they may be dealing with at that time.
3. To learn to be humble. My trials have taught me humility.
- The openness to accepting help from others – we can always give it, but it’s so, so much harder to accept it, isn’t it?
- The humbleness to realize it isn’t all about me and that even in my suffering, I can extend love to someone else. I’m still working on this part.
- The grace to accept my imperfection. “I am perfectly imperfect, and that’s perfectly okay.”
This is certainly not an exhaustive list but they did flash through my mind today. What things have you learned through your trials and suffering? I’d love for you to share them with us.
Thank you for taking your time to read, comment, reblog where you feel moved.